Archive for July 6th, 2014

List of approbation (medical license) authorities (Approbationsbehörden) in Germany

1. Which organisation is competent for the recognition of foreign medical diplomas?

All foreign physicians who want to work in Germany as physicians must go to the competent Federal State authority to have their medical diplomas (medical training) recognised. In some Federal States there is only one medical license agency (Approbationsbehörde), whereas other Federal States have several medical license agencies (Approbationsbehörden) for different regions. But only one agency is relevant for the area where the physician wants to work (see list: Approbationsbehörden). [I posted this PDF document at the end of this post] [The number of german states is 16. However, the number of medical license agencies in this 2013 document is 23. Some states has more than one authority. For example, the German states Northrhine-Westphalia (17.6 million, 2012/ wikipedia article) has five authorites in the district governments of Arnsbergy, Detmold, Düsseldorf, Köln and Münster.].

Concerning the recognition of specialist qualifications only the State Chambers of Physicians (Landesärztekammern) are competent.  The recognition of the specialist diploma is incumbent to the State Chamber of Physicians responsible for the area where the physician wants to work (see list: Ärztekammern).


The German medical license agencies (Approbationsbehörden) as of August 2013:

[gview file=”” height=”900px” save=”1″]


Find authorized translators and interpreters in Germany

A doctor need to translate a couple of documents when he applies for approbation (medical license) in Germany. For example, the university certificate and marks, permanent medical license, high school marks, birth certificate, internship year certificate, and some other documents. The documents to be submitted with the application differ from one approbation authority to another. A detailed list of the German approbation authorities (dated August 2013) is posted as a PDF in the website Marburger Bund here.

• Official websites for finding of authorized translators:

Find authorized translators and interpreters in Germany


BDÜ – the Association of Professional Interpreters and Translators: Link.

BDÜ – the Association of Professional Interpreters and Translators

Idea behind this article from: Mr. Teddy Kabel.